My son can't think of attending college anywhere else than UCLA. We currently live in southen california, but considering moving out for a couple of years to Nevada. I understand that it may cost us dearly as an out-of-state student, in case if we decide to stay out all four years.

2 Answers

Christine Luksza-Paravicini Points0
Even if you relocate to another state, your son will be eligible for in-state tuition provided you comply with the UC policies cited below.

Parent of Minor Who Moves from California
A minor student whose parent moves from California to establish residence elsewhere will be entitled to a resident classification if s/he remains behind and enrolls full time in a post-secondary institution within one year of the date that the parent establishes their new residence. The student’s resident classification will continue as long as s/he maintains continuous full-time attendance at the post- secondary institution. Financial independence will not be required.
a. The parents must have been considered California residents for tuition
purposes immediately prior to their departure. 22

b. The parents must have established a residence elsewhere during the student’s minority and within one year immediately prior to the student’s University enrollment.
c. With the exception of short absences, the student must have remained in California on a continuous basis.
d. The student must maintain continuous full-time enrollment at a post- secondary institution. If s/he has enrolled in more than one post-secondary institution, all such attendances must amount to continuous and full-time enrollment
Janice Kirn-Sottilaro Points0

Students opting to attend college out of state will pay a higher rate of tuition this is true. Declaring residence in another state is one way to alter the cost but the term of residency for each state may vary. You may only need to live in a state for one year in order to benefit from in state tuition while others may require a two year residency. While you may pay in state tuition the last two or three years only an overall view of what the cost would be for the full four years would help parents learn if paying out of state for one or two years, will pay off in savings the last two or three. Colleges though, if you review the article below are actively seeking out of state students, particularly the schools you mention. At UC Berkeley and UCLA, 30% of their student population comes from out of state as residents try to gain the finances needed to pay their tuition. A large part of the cause behind the larger out of state  acceptances comes from less and less government aid being distributed to the state college systems leaving the schools in the position of finding the funds to stay alive elsewhere such as, from the higher tuition rate paid by out of state students. The article is a great, informative read! 

"The newspaper's May 1 report on falling in-state admissions rates touched off an outcry from families of college-bound students and prompted a deeper review of freshman enrollment numbers at each of the nine campuses. It revealed:

The UC system enrolled about 700 more California freshmen in 2013 than in 2009, a 2 percent increase, and nearly 5,000 more freshmen from other states and countries -- a 273 percent increase.

About 57 percent of the added spots went to international students, and 30 percent to students from other states, while about 12 percent went to Californians.

  • UC Berkeley enrolled 800 fewer California freshmen this academic year than in 2009, but it accepted about 580 more from other states and about 500 more from other countries.

  • But rolling back the number of out-of-state students would not make it easier for Californians to find a place at UC Berkeley or elsewhere, experts and policymakers say.Out-of-state students pay nearly $36,000 per year in tuition compared to $12,900 for in-state students; UC collected a half-billion dollars last year alone in out-of-state fees. So cutting off that extra tuition revenue likely would mean fewer spaces and less financial aid for everyone.It's a dysfunctional system, but the colleges aren't to blame, said Assemblyman Das Williams, D-Santa Barbara, who heads the Assembly's Higher Education Committee."If we want to have room for our kids, we've got to pay for it," he said.California is spending less than half of what it did in 2000 for each UC student, a new California Budget Project report found. Despite a 5 percent state funding increase last year following the passage of the Proposition 30 education tax measure, per-student funding still hovers near 30-year lows." San Jose Mercury News, Katy Murphy, 5/9/14

  • Here is another article speaking to both CA and U. Mich regarding out of state applicants:


  • Good Luck!

Ready to discuss your child’s college goals?
Get Started for Free ❯❯


SpanOne helps students get into top colleges by working one-on-one with an experienced college admissions counselor.

Our college counselors help families navigate the complex and stressful process of college planning and applications. Many of them are former admissions staff members and college advisors from the top colleges. They are the best at what they do.

Our college counselors are located in cities across the country, including Austin, Boston, Chicago, Dallas, Denver, Houston, Los Angeles, Miami, New York, Phoenix, San Francisco Bay Area, Seattle and Washington DC.

Ready to discuss your child’s college goals?
Contact Us ❯❯

Get Connected

Have Questions?
   Contact Us ❯❯